Characters + Histories // JUNE 27, 2016
He may be a slimy piece of worm-ridden filth, but he’s a powerful, deadly one.
For Star Wars fans who want a better understanding of various topics, there can be a lot of material to wade through. In The Playlist, we’ll curate select installments of Star Wars that will give you that greater understanding of a specific topic. Consider it your own Jedi Archives — or cheat sheet for your Jedi midterms.
Jabba the Hutt, godfather of the galaxy and host to aliens of a thousand worlds, is one of the most important secondary characters in the Star Wars galaxy. He oversaw the Boonta Eve podrace that Anakin won, relentlessly hunted Han Solo through the course of the original trilogy, and played a significant part in galactic events through all points in between.
For today’s playlist, we’re going to take a look at the sweep of Jabba’s life, from his first appearance in the saga to his last breath.
1. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace – This is the first we see of the power of the Hutts and Jabba himself oversees the podrace that frees Anakin Skywalker from the bonds of slavery.
2. Star Wars: The Clone Wars Movie – This movie brings us a different side of Jabba, one where we see his family life and concern over his new son, Rotta.
3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (“Sphere of Influence,” Season 3, Episode 4) – This episode shows us how important Jabba and his henchmen can be in the scale of galactic events.
4. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (“Evil Plans,” Season 3, Episode 8; “The Hunt for Ziro,”Season 3, Episode 9) – These episodes give us a fascinating look inside the workings of the Grand Hutt Council and how Jabba might be working to subvert them and consolidate power for himself.
5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (“Eminence,” Season 5, Episode 14) – Jabba’s next appearance comes when Darth Maul is searching for an army to reshape the contours of the galactic conflict.
6. Star Wars: A New Hope – This installment of Star Wars shows us the next phase of Jabba’s power over the galaxy; interestingly, he decides to personally deal with scum like Han Solo.
7. Marvel Comics’ Darth Vader: Volume 1 – Darth Vader goes for secret help — help he can’t let the Emperor know about. And where does he go? To Jabba the Hutt. Pay careful attention to the staging of Jabba’s confrontation with Vader and remember it when you see him deal with Luke.
8. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back – Though Jabba doesn’t actually appear on screen in this film, his influence follows Han Solo in every scene, from start to finish.
9. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi – And here we have the final installment of Jabba’s life, reduced to his last breath by his own arrogance.
Jabba the Hutt forever holds a place in the course of galactic events in Star Wars and taking a direct path through this playlist will help you understand just how important a player he was.